Termites are the most destructive and dangerous pests. They survive on cellulose found in paper and wood. They are mostly found in the spring season. Termites cannot be noticed when they invade the property initially, but they show a sudden and abrupt spread, and hence, they become uncontrollable and cause huge damage. They tend to eat 24 hours a day. The damage done by termites does not come under insurance. So, there is a huge need for pest control in San Antonio to eradicate these uninvited guests.
Types of termites
- Drywood- this type of termite feeds on a single wood piece or structure. They do not need contact with the soil, they require a little amount of moisture.
- Dampwood- as the name suggests, they multiply in damp woods; they multiply themselves in decaying woods near water bodies with high moisture and humid levels.
- Subterranean- They multiply near the soil which has a high moisture level. They survive near water bodies and dirt.
Signs by which termites can be identified
- Mud tubes- They make a tunnel-like structure with mud for hiding themselves from predators.
- Bubbling of paints- Sometimes the paint on the wall bubbles up, which is a major sign of the existence of the termites.
- Damaged wood- Termites eat up the wooden structure making them hollow and keeping a thin sheet-like surface.
- Small piles of wooden dust- Sometimes you can notice heaps of wooden dust, which is a significant sign of the presence of termites.
Prevention of invasion of termites
- Routinely check if there are any mud tubes, bubbling paints, damaged wooden structures, etc.
- The moisture level of the home needs to be reduced
- Keep a close eye on the exterior parts of the wooden structures
- Cracks in the home walls outside
Termites are silent destroyers as at the initial stage the termites cannot be detected; homeowners notice the damage only after the damage is significant. Termites feed on dead wood; they tear the wood with their teeth and make the wooden structure hollow. The signs that indicate the presence of termites in the home are mud tunnels, the bubbling of wall paints, damaged and hollow wooden structures, and small piles of wood dust. The damage made by termites can be very dangerous and costly. Property owners should regularly check their property, and if there is any sign of termites, they should always hire a professional pest control service.